Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mrs. Callie's Pound Cake

When I was working at the nursing home in New Iberia we had a wonderful woman who's husband we cared for. She was such a great support, alway there for Mr. Fred, always looking after us...the staff! She was such a happy, caring soul that I could not help but love her. She often would appear with a special treat for the staff.....but our favorite was the pound cake! It is simply the best pound cake I have ever eaten, and she was kind enough to share the recipe with me.....so this is for Mrs. Callie, and her awsome pound cake!!!

3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup Crisco shortning
1 cup milk
1/2 t baking powder
5 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 t lemon extract( or almond)
1t vanilla

Cream butter, sugar and Crisco until light and fluffy. Add in wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in dry ingrdients. Bake in a greased and floured pan at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. This makes one VERY large bundt pan cake, or 3 loaves(adjust cooking time for loaves) If you have a standard size bundt pan it will over flow...ask me how I know this...lol!!! I usually make a stand size bundt pan and one loaf pan and put the loaf cake in the freezer. This makes the most WONDERFUL strawberry short cake base...mmmm mmm good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment